Our Healthy and Fit Family


Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sometimes we have to let go of our "plan"...

Saturday morning I woke up knowing that in all likelihood it was going to rain later in the day. My plan was for us to have breakfast and then after 45 minutes or so, head out for our 7 mile run. I mapped it all out, and was ready to go... but then Frank decided that he needed to create a play list on his ipod!!!! Usually when we run together I don't use my music, but I do know that it is important for Frank to have his music. I started to get irritated because I really wanted to get going and then it hit me... newsflash!!!! ... getting irritated was going to make it much more difficult to enjoy our run together, was going to waste good physical energy with mental aggravation. I realized that, SO WHAT if we got rained on! Fortunately, I had this realization before we even left the house and so our run went well AND we made it back before the rain. Now what if I had decided to let those angry monkeys stay on my shoulders? I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the run and I would have wasted a perfectly good adventure with my best friend! I'm still working on letting go, being more flexible, and going with the flow. Who would have thought that taking up running could encompass so many life lessons!

Happy questing everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Great Advise Terry!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it mom! The hardest runs I have ever done have been when I have had those monkeys on my shoulders (whether it stress or frustration). I remember my last marathon in madison when I told dana to go ahead with her friend cause I was feeling good. At first, it really got to me that she was able to do it faster and she had someone else to run with the whole time (then to even top that the friends mom ran with them as well). I had to stop myself at that moment cause up to then I was feeling good and running well, but as soon as those negative thoughts entered my head, i started to feel like i couldn't do it. I stopped the thoughts and changed my mind and ended up running my best time. I do think this running challenges teach us valuable lessons.

    ReplyDelete