I was offered a part-time gig for next year.
I now have to decide whether to accept or not.
I am looking for some thoughts...to help me sort this out.
Here are the facts about the situation:
1. I don't want to work. I want to stay home with Kieran. I am only working because we can't pay our bills on one salary alone.
2. Paul doesn't have a job next year yet.
3. We need medical insurance.
Here are the facts about my job search:
1. There are very few part-time gigs in schools.
2. Working in another arena would be more hours, less money, and no summers off
3. I have interviewed for two jobs: one (I was offered) is 2 1/2 days per week, the other is 4 days (gives me insurance...I haven't been offered that job)
Here are the facts about the job offer I got:
1. I would work 2 days one week, 3 days the next
2. No insurance
3. I would drive an hour to get to work and an hour back (maybe more!)
4. I would earn about $700 per pay check (every two weeks).
5. Day care cost is $300 per pay check period (at the very least...this was the cost of a center near the school)
6. There are not very many Spanish speaking families in this new school
I want to take the job because it's the only part-time gig I have going for me right now, plus it's the age group I like, seems like an easy job, the staff seem really great, and my mom has offered to watch Kieran for the one extra day on the weeks that I have to work 3 days
I don't want the job because it seems pointless to leave Kieran to make $200 bucks a week.
and the commute stinks. and I won't get to use my Spanish. furthermore, we may end up without insurance if Paul doesn't get a job. So, it's risky.
I will pray about this.
But I'm interested in anyone's thoughts.
I didn't get to run today. I'll try to do it tomorrow.
Questing....
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI'll/We'll pray for you all too. Most important be happy with the decision you make. It is a hard call. Maybe you can hold off answering until you know about what Paul has coming??? Maybe not. Keep praying and talking it over. Love, Mia
ReplyDeleteAH! I don't know what happened but I think I deleted my mom's comment! I'm sorry....
ReplyDeleteBasically, to answer your questions, Mom, I did some more research.
The 4 day a week job would bring in about $400 per week once you subtract childcare cost. And there would be insurance.
I can't ask for more money, not even if I bring Dana with me, they just won't budge on that.
I don't really like the 4 day job, so...
I will be looking into other childcare alternatives.
Nannies cost about $10 / hr.......so maybe I should just do that.