Our Healthy and Fit Family


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Feet!

Mary's been bragging about the fact that she makes use of the "insurance" plan that you can buy when you get running shoes at Sports Authority. Basically, if and when ANYTHING happens to the shoe, EVEN normal wear and tear, in the course of one year, you file a claim and get a check for the entire amount that you paid for the shoes plus taxes paid.

So last time I got shoes for myself and for Dana, I bought the insurance. That was back in October and I figured it's probably time for new shoes since I noticed that they feel "flat" and also that my left ankle is starting to bother me. Mary looked at the shoes with me and noted that there was uneven wear on the heel as well as the fact that the "tred" was worn off around the big toes.

I'll let you know when I get the check, but Mary says it should be no problem!

Meantime, I wanted to go for a long run today since it is so beautiful outside. Planned out a 9 mile route, but then decided that I best not run in the worn shoes. So I went to Sports Authority and ended up getting a new pair. Due to some error at the register, they gave them to me for $60 less than they cost. I went back and pointed out their error, but they said that I should just let it go! (Bonus for truthfulness!)

Anyways, the point of this whole story is that my ankle felt great even after the 9 miles! Of course, I'm a little tired now, but I'm glad I got the new shoes! The last mile or mile and a half of my run was all uphill. I thought about walking, but then thought to myself that mom keeps telling herself to focus on the "biggest losers" so that's what I did and before I knew it I was back home.

I didn't take my ipod with me, so what I do is pray during the entire run. For example, when I passed "Cumberland Street" I prayed for Carroll, Dug and the kids and for Steve and Marsha Sherman (they live on Cumberland Estates Drive). Basically I just look around and pray for whomever things remind me of!

Can't wait to see everyone!
love,
Terry

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the new shoes Mom --- they make such a HUGE difference, dont' they?!?! I'm glad you like your new pair! I tried your praying strategy the other day...but I didn't pass any street signs on the lake shore path! ha ha ha....
    Don't kill Dad too badly this weekend on your run with him! :)
    Did you tell everyone about the hats yet?
    Great job staying motivated and motivating all of us!
    Thanks and I love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas Terry. I just pray when I can't make it up a hill or I'm getting too tired on the last mile. Will I know when to get new shoes??? I still ache a bit after most longer runs! Getting the insurance sounds like too much paper work!!!

    ReplyDelete