Our Healthy and Fit Family


Friday, April 20, 2012

Life is Hard, Food is Easy by Linda Spangle

I have a blog where I write about new books that I am reading....this book is my current one and I thought it would interest all of you in your own journeys...so far, this book is exactly what I need....the following is my blog post from today....

As many of you know, I have been doing Weight Watchers on and off for many many years.  How many?  I just realized the other day that I have been doing Weight Watchers on and off since I graduated from college - TEN YEARS AGO!  Wow.... that's a LONG time to be on and off dieting.

Now I know what you are thinking...but wait, Elizabeth, isn't the idea of Weight Watchers that you are not dieting but changing your lifestyle?  Well that's the IDEA...but clearly, if I have gone on and off and lost the same 30 pounds over and over again, this must NOT be my lifestyle and must be a diet.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that I am not only an extrinsic eater but also an emotional eater.  Although I came to that conclusion long ago, it isn't until now that I have decided to start on a road to conquer this.

This is going to be a long journey.  It will be difficult for me.  When I'm stressed, I eat.  But I also eat when I'm really happy, angry, bored, or just because my children are both asleep!

I also realize that changing my view on food will also hopefully positively affect my whole family.  My husband eats when he's hungry for the most part (except when he dives into a pint of ice cream).  My son....does not.  I want to give him a healthier example of eating for nourishment.

So....in comes my new book choice:  Life is Hard, Food is Easy.
I'm quite excited about this book and just finished the first two chapters...

I found myself in tears already...realizing how food truly does serve the purpose of my best friend at times.

I'll end this blog post with a quote from the first chapter of the book...

Food is wonderful!
In fact, food is my best friend,
but lately I'm aware that
my friend is hurting me,
making me uncomfortable,
sabotaging my goals,
causing me grief and guilt,
possibly destroying my life.
Today I made a decision-
It's time to get a new friend.

Welcome to my journey.

If you'd like to read more of my book blog posts, you can follow the blog at:
www.shermanbookclub.blogspot.com

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment